remember me promising to share more of what i learned at lauren dahl's (blogger of the living home) workshop??? ok well here's more!!
at the workshop lauren showed us how to make our own cashew milk. normally i'm all "i'll just buy it at the store and save myself the time…its just like $4" but when i saw how easy it was, i quickly changed my tune. i asked her if she thought i could do the same thing with flax seed and she said to try it! so i did and it was amazing. i have smoothies for lunch and always have a flax milk base. i also add flax, coconut, and almond milk to the twins breast milk bottles (yes i still give them bottles, no i'm not sorry)…so flax milk is a staple around here. with the exception of cheese, everything i make at home is completely dairy free and flax milk is always my milk substitution. this flax milk recipe lasted us about a week!
you could also try this recipe with other nuts like almonds or cashews, you would just need to increase the amount of nuts used!
DIY FLAX MILK
dairy free, grain free, sugar free, gluten free, and vegan!
- 1/3 cup of raw whole fax seeds
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 7 cups of water
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 nut milk bag (i use this one)
TIME: 10 minutes. if even!
- pour flax seeds and water in blender. blend for a minute or so. just make sure you see that the seeds are being broken up.
- place the nut milk bag over the blender and pour the mixture into a large bowl. you will really need to squeeze the bag for a while to get all the good milk out. (apologizing now for making you feel like you're milking a cow.)
- strain a second time by putting the milk bag in the blender and pouring the bowl of milk back through the bag.
- blend again adding dates and vanilla. blend until liquified.
- place in airtight container because it will need to be shaken before each use