i realize my last blog was a recipe too, but Father's Day was yesterday and i decided i should go ahead and blog Cal's fav meal! although i made it with chicken, you could easily leave the chicken out to make it vegan and gluten free! or you can just pick the chicken out, like i did.
so some backstory real quick. our neighbors (ratni and ebby) for a good portion of my life are indian. i always say they're my godparents because they treated us like their own, even letting us live with them while we waited on our house to finish being built. ratni is an AMAZING cook! one day i tried to throw together a chicken curry based on my memory of how she made it and it turned out pretty good! its NO ratni chicken curry, BUT it is cal's favorite dish i make. it's quick and easy.
if you've never had puppodums, OMG. they're kiiinda like a chip but so much better. the ones i use are gluten free and made with chickpea flour! you can usually find then in the indian section of the grocery store. i use them as like a spoon to pick up the curry. TO DIE FOR. (side note: you can also cook these in oil, but it takes WAY longer….aint nobody got time for that!)
- 2 tablespoons of curry
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (could use real onion but i would gag)
- dash of garlic salt
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of cayenne pepper (or more if you like spicy)
- 3/4 can of tomato sauce
- 3/4 can of vegetable (or chicken) broth
- basmati rice (this type of rice is KEY)
- 1 package of naan (optional, leave out for gluten free!)
- 1 package of puppodums (the best part!)
- 3 peeled and cooked potatoes
- 1/2 cup of peas
1. before you begin anything, peel and cook your potatoes in boiling water…. then cook rice as directed on package. do this before the curry because the rice takes the longest of everything to cook.
2. after potatoes are done and rice has started cooking, pour in 3/4 of your can of tomato sauce in a skillet, dump out the extra. Then fill the can 3/4 full with vegetable (or chicken) broth and pour it into skillet. turn on medium to high heat. add chicken, peas, potatoes, and all spices.
3. while you've got everything cooking, you can cook your puppodums in the microwave. i cook them 2 at a time for 25 seconds each.