so yesterday cal and i were talking about how OVER granola bars for breakfast we both are. i was like "man, i'd give anything to eat those starbucks egg whites for breakfast everyday." cal agreed and encouraged me to try to find a way to make them. so today, as i sat in the bathtub, i ordered groceries to be delivered (THANK YOU INSTACART!!!!!! and if you haven't tried it yet, here's a coupon for $10 in free groceries, or use code "HDAVIS2B61E2" ) and an hour later they were here. (p.s. you can and should waive that 10% service fee at checkout, it does NOT go to your shopper).
so i started by googling what was in them. it seemed pretty basic. what did not seem basic was cooking sous vide eggs. something about putting the egg in a bag while you cook it?! i dont know. clearly i'm not a chef and have no idea what "sous vide" means or even how you say it. but i knew you could make eggs in a bowl in the microwave because i remember my mom doing it for us when we were little. so i decided to try to make them in mini baking cups. this recipe was perfect for 24 mini cups.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE 24 MINIS:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped spinach
- himalayan salt
- 16 oz of egg whites
- start by dicing the red pepper and the spinach while you preheat the over to 350 degrees. (i used frozen spinach so that i could continue to use it to make these throughout the month.) be sure and spray down the cups...even nonstick cups.
- fill each of the cups about 1/2 full with the egg whites.
- add as much or little of the spinach, red pepper, cheese, salt, and pepper as you prefer.
- give each cup a little stir and stick in the oven for about 15 minutes!
- enjoy! or divide out for each morning and give them a quick reheat when you want them.