so in my process of trying to get rid of all toxins in our home, i tried to get rid of deodorants with aluminum. if you don't know about the potential damage that aluminum in deodorant can cause, do a quick google search! i have tried about every aluminum free and "natural" deodorant at whole foods that you can try and NONE of them have worked for me.
well, last weekend i went to a clean living workshop by my friend Lauren Dahl (her blog is the living home) and she is AMAZZZZING y'all. i adore her and her blog. i learned TONS at this workshop, which i will share more with you guys soon… but one thing we made was deodorant! lauren used just two ingredients: coconut oil and baking soda. in my head i was laughing thinking there's NO WAY it could possibly work, but i gave it a try. lauren gave them to us in a little mason jar and to put it on, you have to use your fingers. that was the only downfall to me. i did a little research and read that you could add beeswax to it to stiffen it up so it could be used in an empty deodorant container.
this is SO easy to make y'all. as a mom with 3 kids 2 and under, a photography business, and a blog… i have plenty of time to make this! it won't prevent you from sweating (which i don't think it should, obviously God made our bodies to sweat for a reason) they say if you haven't used a natural deodorant, it may take a little while to go through an adjustment period since your body is used to having the sweat glands blocked. i also added young living essential oils in mine, because Lord knows i couldn't resist. for mine i added: patchouli, lavender, tea tree, and lemon. for cals: tea tree, lemon, sacred mountain, and rosemary. the oils could definitely be left out, but who'd want to?!?! so many are antibacterial, antiseptic, antivrial, etc etc etc.
i should also add that the essential oils you add to it matter GREATLY. in case you didn't know, essential oil companies can say "100% essential oil" or "100% therapeutic grade essential oil" or really anything they want to say as long as the bottle contains 10% of plant matter! YALL! i'm not ok with that. the other 90% can be synthetic and made in a lab. YUCK! i never thought about where the farms should be in the world or if gmo and non-organic crops had ever been farmed on the same land until i found all of this out. young living's seed to seal blew my mind and it's why i chose them over other brands. for example, with some of the big trees like spruce and pine, they don't even use heavy machinery to chop and drag the trees out because the pollution could compromise them. they literally chop them down by hand and drag them out with HORSES! i could go on and on, but i highly encourage you to know every step of where your essential oils come from because things are not always as they seem on the bottle.
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 5-10 drops of essential oils (optional!)
- melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler. it takes a little while for the beeswax to melt, don't be surprised by that.
- whisk in the baking soda and essential oils
- pour in deodorant container
- let it cool at room temperature!
i'd love your feedback on this this recipe works for you! xoxo-hannah