with earth day being today i thought i would give some of my favorite closet spring cleaning tips that have made me be more earth conscious and less wasteful….
i have always been a huge shopaholic. always had way too many clothes. in fact, in our last house i converted a bedroom into my own closet. i bought racks like a store and literally decked it out. it was ridiculous. i'm not a hoarder and have no problem getting rid of clothes but its always been such a pain in the ass to me. maybe its moving twice in a year or maybe it was a come to Jesus moment... but something changed me. i've realized that having an enormous amount of clothing isn't beneficial in any way to anyone and i honestly can't even remember what i have when my closet is like that. if i end up wearing most of the same things, why have such a huge closet!? plus i am not a classic girl and always want the newest and trendiest…happily ditching last years stuff for something new and on trend.
i've learned over the years its just better to get a few nice/versatile pieces and when you're over them SELL THEM. i am alllllll about a revolving closet. i've found 3 companies lately that have majorly helped me with a revolving closet:
- THRED UP- ok so this is an online consignment shop for women and kids. you can have them send you a free bag to send your clothes in (you can choose to have clothes they can't sell donated or sent back for $12.) i will say, its not the best money for the clothes BUT its the easiest and i NEED easy. you literally dump the clothes in their bag and drop it at FEDEX (its all prepaid shipping.) i also shop here a lot. the prices are great and you can have a free $10 to shop by clicking here (no catch, literally a free $10) if you've got a lot of quantity to get rid of….TRY IT!
- TRADESY- if you've got quality you want to sell or buy… go here. for real. i LOVE LOVE LOVE tradesy. its a high end consignment shop with TONS of selection. you pick the price of what you're selling (tradesy adds their % on top of your set price), you take the photos and write the description. when something sells, tradesy sends you prepaid shipping supplies to mail your sold item. you can literally put them in the mailbox or hand them to the mailman. again, its super easy. also, everything is money back guaranteed authentic. i really love that about tradesy. it is safe and trustworthy. p.s. i bought one of reese witherspoon's clutches on here, which is pretty badass...
- ROCKSBOX- this is basically a jewelry rental. for $19 a month (one free month with code hdavisphotographyxoxo) they send you 3 pieces of designer jewelry. good brands like house of harlow, kendra scott, loren hope, etc. when you're tired of them and ready for a new box, put them back in the prepaid shipping bag they came in and stick them in the mailbox. unlimited times a month. free shipping both ways. you can update your wishlist as often as you like, in hopes they send you pieces you love. plus, you can always purchase the pieces you can't bear to send back at a discounted price. love love love rocksbox!
So go through your closet and ask yourself these questions:
- have i worn this in a year?
- does it fit?
- is this still my style?
- am i confident wearing this?
- is it sentimental?
if the answer is no to one or more, its time to let go. more is not more! i'm already selling things i asked for a few months ago christmas, not because i didn't love my gifts, but because i am ready to trade them in for something new!
peace and love!